Can Two Foreign Get Married in Colombia?
June 18, 2019
Nowadays, it's very common to see marriages in Colombians with foreigners and between foreigners. Some of them just want to get married with another foreigner in Colombia, others because they found their significant half in Colombia, so in this article we're going to talk about the requirements to get married in Colombia being a foreigner.
If you are planning to get married in Colombia, it is advisable to look for the help of a Colombian lawyer, to make the process as easier as possible, providing you with the list of requirements you will need and clarifying any doubt you may have. The following is useful information for you to take into consideration before getting married in Colombia.
It's Important for you to Know as a Foreigner in Colombia That:
- You don't need to have the nationality to get married in Colombia.
- Every civil marriage performed in Colombian territory is a contract and must be performed by a notary.
- The marriage must be held at the address of one of the two covenants, without exception, at least one of the two co-officers must have that address during the 6 months prior to the application.
- If there are two foreigners not domiciled in Colombia they must get married in the respective consular authorities of their country of origin (or one of the two)
Legal Requirements for Getting Married in Colombia for Foreigners:
If you're a foreigner in Colombia, and want to get married here, all the documents that aren't in Spanish, has to be translated and apostilled. The translation has to be done by an official translator and the apostille has to be certified by an authority under the hague convention, If at the country of origin the Apostille of the HAGUE CONVENTION is not valid, then documents must come authenticated by the Colombian consul and the certification must be verifiable by the Colombian Foreign Ministry. The requirements are:
- Passport with a Colombian VISA or an foreigner ID.
- A certified copy of your passport.
- Civil registry who are getting married, with one month term of validity for colombians and two months for foreigners.
- A certified copy of the birth record.
- A verbal or written request from the couple, in which they express their desire to get married in Colombia. This document must include the name of their parents and address, and the name of the witnesses, attached by a statement from them about why the couple possesses the necessary qualities to get married.
- If either or both of the spouses are foreign, they must present a certificate of bachelorhood.
For Special Cases:
- If you have the nullity of a previous marriage, you must present a certified copy of civil registration of marriage stating the judgment of the case.
- If you are divorced, you must submit an authenticated copy of the civil registration previous marriage with marginal note of divorce.
- For widowed, you must submit the registration of death of the spouse, as well as the certified copy of the previous marriage.
- If the foreigner has children from a previous relationship he must present a SOLEMN INVENTORY OF GOODS, prepared by the competent authority at the country of origin. If the aforementioned diligence of solemn inventory does not exist at the country of origin, you must present a certificate issued by the competent authority certifying so. It can be a notary public of the country of origin, who gives faith that this document is not required in your country.
Is really important for each case to make a prenuptial agreement, if you want to know a little bit more about prenuptial agreements, we advise you to read the next article: How to Make Your Prenuptial Agreement in Colombia.
Are you in a relationship in which both of you are considering to get married in Colombia? If your answer is affirmative you may need the advice of a trustful law firm for prenuptial agreements, family law and estate planning. At AGT Attorneys we provide you with experienced attorneys, contact us at +57 1 702-3671
or fill out in this contact form
, our experienced attorneys are ready to assist you. Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with our latest news.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to legal affairs? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook AGT Attorneys
and Twitter @AttorneysAGT
Don't Miss These Other The Most Read Articles
February 04, 2019
How to Get a License of Manufacture and/or Cultivation of...
Colombia is becoming the new global leading in the medical cannabis business, in 2015 the government sign a decree legalizing and regulating th...
July 16, 2018
All you Need to Know About Getting Marriage in Colombia
Nowadays, it is very common to see marriages between Colombians and foreigners, but besides the celebration, there's a lot you need to know...
January 29, 2018
How to Get the Invima Health Registration in Colombia If ...
Most food manufacturers and importers know it is mandatory to obtain a registration certificate from INVIMA (National Medicine and Food Surve...
June 18, 2019
Can Two Foreign Get Married in Colombia?
Nowadays, it is very common to see marriages in Colombians with foreigners and between foreigners. Some of them just want to get married with a...